A Guide to Organic Farming Labels and Their Meanings



The organic farming industry is one of the most popular industries today. This is mostly attributed to the fact that consumers nowadays are becoming more concerned about what they choose to put into their bodies. The organics industry shows no signs of letting up anytime soon, and there are more products now more than ever that bear the “certified organic” seal.

However, because of the popularity of organic products, some businesses are putting this label on their products simply so that they can charge more for it. This is not something that you should be doing for a number of reasons. Read on to learn more about the organic labels that exist within the organic farming industry.

USDA Organic Seal

The most popular organic label you may see in organic products is the USDA Organic Seal. However, keep in mind that this seal can only be given to products that contain one hundred percent certified organic products, and no less.

Organic Label

Keep in mind that the USDA Organic Seal is different from a USDA organic label. If a product contains an “organic label”, then this means that this product was made with 95% organic ingredients, while the other 5% is made with “allowed” products.

Made With Organic Ingredients

If a product is “made with organic ingredients”, then this means that it contains 70% organic ingredients and cannot bear the USDA Organic Seal.

What About the Rest of the Products With Organic Ingredients?

Of course, there are products that do contain organic products but do not meet the requirements for organic certification. These products are not allowed to label themselves are organic, and can only list their organic properties in their ingredients list.

What Happens If I Use the Organic Label Without Certification?

If you are an organic farm and you’re looking to use the organic label on your products, is this something that you can just do? Keep in mind that using the certified organic seal or label on your products without going through the prior certification process can end up having quite costly consequences. Businesses that are found to be using the organic label without the prior certification can end up being fined a hefty amount for doing so.

How Do I Obtain Certification?

As an organic farming business, how are you supposed to obtain certification for your own products? You have to make sure that you go through the process of having your farm certified before you can begin carrying that label on your products. It may take some time, but in the end, it will definitely pay off. Make sure to work with a professional who can help guide you through the process of this.

Tags: , , ,